Subject: Re: Ulead's MM Converter
From: "Daniel J. McCoy" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 95 10:26 PDT

At 10:12 AM 10/3/95 -0700, you wrote:
>I just got MM Converter direct from ulead ($18.50 incl. shipping). Not too
>impressed at this point, although WTF, the price is right.

I had the same difficulties as you did when installing it under NT.
Selecting an AVI file in the requester results in a 16 bit subsystem
exception (recoverable at least).  There ARE bugs and I HOPE they address
these issues in future versions.  But if the parts that I need works for me,
the price was right.  :)

>this, and I recommend that other NT users do the same. NT has been around
>for 3(?) years, Win95 for almost a year (beta), and you're shiping a product
>that's incompatible? Whassup with that?

I can understand why many applications aren't Win95 (32 bit app) ready yet
as it is a major pain int he butt to develop for a moving target (ie:
Win95).  However, I am not too happy with NT's apparent lack of support as
far as general purpose applications go.  NT is considered a high-end
networking OS and not one that the general public uses.  You'll find all
sorts of expensive networking oriented applications.  And the applications
you DO find that are 32 bit that have 16 bit counterparts have their prices
jacked up (some substantially).  Hell!  I'm STILL looking for a GOOD general
purpose 32 bit telecommuncations program for NT.  The only one I've found
that runs under NT is A-Talk and that wasn't even good on the Amiga!  Win95
apps like QModem 95 or HyperTerminal don't run as they're looking for MAPI
support that doesn't exist in NT yet.  

The bottom line is that it is all in the numbers.  If there's millions of 16
bit Windows users out there and a fraction of that using NT (with those
installations thought of being strickly servers or workstations hooked up to
those servers despite those of us who WANT/NEED power in an OS), which would
you rather target software for if you want a return on your investments?
Only a handful of the major software companies have Win95/32 bit versions of
software out now.  The rest of the other software not made by these major
software companies will be slower to react.  Win32 support WILL grow.
Whether these software companies make their software run under Win95 AND
WinNT is another matter...

>Adding the ability to read Amiga Anim5, Anim7 and Anim8 formats would be
>appreciated too!

Yup!  :)

I have sent e-mail to the support address, however I have not gotten any
response yet.  A phone call to them is in order shortly.

Dan

--
"Daniel J. McCoy" <[email-masked]> sent this message.
To Post a Message           : [email-masked]
Un/Subscription Requests To : [email-masked]
(DIGEST)                 or : [email-masked]
Administrative Items To     : [email-masked]